MY FIRST TOOTH
1. What’s the name of your band? What’s the origin of that name? Have you changed the band’s name before?
The story is long and vastly complex…and I’m happy to bore you with it. I wanted to convey a sense of innocence I think. I was in a band at the time which had become complicated and quite…difficult to relate to, I felt. I wanted to get back to simple song structures and themes and My First Tooth was an outlet for that. Of course it has now very much outgrown the name but we’ve had t-shirts made now so I think we’re stuck with it.
2. What genre of music do you consider your work to be? Who are your major influences?
It’s pop, right? With a touch of rock? Katy Perry but with less backing dancers, more guitars…and violins.
Influences? Katy Perry. I really like Nada Surf too.
3. How long have you all known each other? How did you meet?
By my calculations we’ve known each other for 36 years cumulatively. Gareth and I met in the club, Jo and I in the pub and Soph and I on the volleyball court.
4. Do you have a record label?
We are signed to the gorgeous (and recent AIM award winning) Alcopop Records who very kindly took us in when no one else would.
5. What are your favorite and least favorite venues? Do you have any upcoming shows?
I think we’re all big fans of the Lexington in London. Not sure about our least favourite but 10 Feet Tall in Cardiff has to be the worst load-in of any venue we’ve played. Lovely once you actually get in there though.
6. What has been your biggest challenge as a band? Have you been able to overcome that challenge? If so, how?
The whole thing has been our biggest challenge. Getting shows, getting people to come to them, raising the money to make records, getting people to buy said records…
We overcome these things by begging and scrounging, lying and cheating mostly.
7. What’s your favorite thing to do before a show ?
Eat huge burritos. It helps us play in time.
8. How long are your rehearsals ?
We pop til we drop.
9. How has your music evolved since you first began playing music together?
Louder, faster, angrier.
10. What advice do you have for people who want to form their own bands?
Don’t bother. Especially if you’re shit. I’m serious.
Okay, if you absolutely MUST form a band pick people who smell good and like to celebrate EVERYTHING. Just played a show in Wakefield to 5 people? ALL NIGHT TRAVELODGE DANCE PARTY. Also, surround yourselves with good people. If you have some obnoxious bastard representing you, people will think you are all obnoxious bastards. Which is bad. Unless that’s your selling point.
11. Do you have girlfriends or boyfriends ?
Yes of course. One of each in every town.
12. Anything else you would like to add.
My First Tooth – Orchards
Uploaded on Aug 9, 2010
Video for the My First Tooth single ‘Orchards’. Directed by Tom Levinge.
This is an old track and video. Check out what they have been up to.
We have a new single out – you can listen and download it here: